Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Busy Girl's Daily Fitness

My husband lets me know as often as possible that I am a strange human being.  This could be for many reasons, but he loves throwing that statement out every time I head out for a run.  For most people it seems you either love running or only do it when being chased by something large and scary.  Most days, though, I don’t have time for a run.  After leaving work, running to various activities (piano, football, swimming, etc.), making dinner, helping with homework, prepping lunches, etc., etc., etc., who has the desire to throw on shoes and run in the dark?  Not even I like that.

So, here’s my idea.  I’ve researched and come up with four ways we can sneak in some fitness throughout the day.  Most don’t even seem too painful.  We’ll call it…the busy girl’s daily fitness.

1.       10 x 10: 
Choose 10 different exercises to complete throughout the day and do 10 reps of each.  Some of these I’ll sneak in while I get ready for work.  Many I’ll sneak in at school.  Here’s my list for my first day of 10 x 10: squats, lunges, calf raises, wall push-ups, jumping jacks, office-chair seat squeezes, standing crunches, seated leg raise, crunches, and mountain climbers. (Pictures to come after I give this a try!)

2.       Commercial Cardio:
Even though I live in a ranch-style house, we have stairs to our basement.  I know that every Sunday my husband and I will watch one of our favorite shows.  Example: Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead…LOVE THESES SHOWS!  During every commercial break I will jog the stairs.  If I get tired, I’ll walk the stairs. Many estimates show that there are 20+ minutes of advertising during an average, hour-long show.  That’s a great little workout!

3.       Kid’s Activity Cardio:
My son is young enough that I sit through his lessons and practices.  I’m sure as he gets older I may just drop him off, but for right now I’m sitting through 30 minutes to one hour of some sort of activity at least 2-3 days a week.  Why do I bring a folding chair and just sit and stare all practice?  I’m going to use the giant field he practices on to get some cardio time in!  Nothing exciting, I’m simply going to walk!

4.       Challenge the Teacher (or parent):
Kids love to challenge their teachers and parents.  It doesn’t matter what age they are.  We take brain breaks in my classroom almost every class period, so why shouldn’t I use them to stay in shape?  Give the kids the opportunity to think of some sort of exercise and a challenge to go along with it.  Example: who can do 10 burpees first? (Side note: burpees are the devil but very worthwhile).  Let them challenge you as a part of your brain break!  You’ll get in a quick exercise, and the kids will have fun while connecting with you!
      These are just four ideas I came up with while reading various pieces on the internet.  Do you all have some great tips for sneaking in quick workouts throughout the day?  If so, please leave a comment and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment